Sunday, July 22, 2012

two quarters and a nickel at Green City Market in Chicago!



The Green City Market in Chicago is everything that you would want from a farmers market. Under each tent are friendly, knowledgeable people that are excited to help healthy customers find the perfect ingredients. The food that I sampled and purchased were amazing, to say the least. I first bought a basket of peaches that were not only perfectly ripe, but juicy with each bite. Being in the 93 degree heat, I as thirsty and I decided to try organic, farm-fresh soda. The soda was made with only local ingredients from the market itself. After a few samples, I decided on the Apple and Mint soda which was a perfect drink to offset the hot sun.

Moving around the market, I noticed how eclectic the Green City Market is. The market has the usual suspects such as fresh apples, corn, squash, and other vegetables and fruits. However, one could also find organic, farm-raised meats of all sorts, homemade honey, soft and freshly-made pretzel bread, a variety of organic cheeses, and my favorite station, delicious salsas from a Wisconsin farm using only what can be grown out of the ground.

The market is open on Wednesdays and Sundays from 7am – 1pm, and one of my favorite features about the market is that it is open year-round (moving indoors to the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum during the colder months).

During my adventure, I was able to find two quarters and a nickel after sampling some delicious mushrooms drizzled and toasted in garlic and oil. It is my biggest find yet, and boosts my total to nearly over $1.00!

Interesting fact 1: Chicago’s home-brewed beer, Goose Island, actually gets a lot of their ingredients from the Green City Market in order to create new craft beers. I have had 3 different Goose Island brews myself, and each one has been more delicious than the last.

Interesting fact 2: the Green City Market is not supported by tax dollars because it is a 501(c)(3) not for profit organization. It survives on the customers that shop there and on donations from farmers market lovers. If you’d like to make a tax-deductible donation go to this website https://www.greencitymarket.org/support/index.asp, and do so. I did!

Total Change Collected: 89 cents


No comments:

Post a Comment